It’s summer, at least according to UNC-Chapel Hill’s academic calendar. As I’ve noted in the past, summer for faculty members is not synonymous with a vacation. Here’s what I have planned:
- Teach JOMC 157, News Editing, during a condensed term called Maymester. We’ll cover an entire semester’s worth of material in less than three weeks.
- Review applications for a certificate program in media and technology.
- Grade comprehensive exams for an online master’s program.
- Teach writing for social media as part of a week-long jazz workshop.
- Research and write a proposal for a course on freelance editing, with a focus on nonfiction.
- Contribute to a top-to-bottom review of the curriculum in the journalism school, with an eye toward major revisions.
- Read the new edition of “The Subversive Copy Editor,” which I use as a textbook in my Advanced Editing course. (This is my beach book.)
- Review and update course materials for the fall semester, which will begin in mid-August.
That’s plenty to keep me busy. Happy summer!