UNC-Chapel Hill is on spring break this week. It’s a needed respite for students and faculty alike.
Although I am not teaching any classes this week, I have plenty to keep me busy. Here’s how I am spending my spring break:
- grading midterm exams and other assignments
- preparing presentations and assignments for class for next week
- reviewing applications for an online master’s program in communication and technology
- submitting reviews for the Tankard Book Award
- preparing for sessions at the national conference of the American Copy Editors Society
Spring break isn’t all work, though. Last weekend, I spent a long weekend with friends at a lake house. This weekend, my son and I will attend NCAA Tournament games in Raleigh. In between, I had lunch with a longtime friend whom I don’t get to see often enough because of geography and work schedules.
I’ll be back in class first thing Monday morning. When colleagues and students ask whether I had a good break, I am certain that the answer will be yes.