The rush to have newspaper reporters write blogs has not been followed by a rush of copy editors to polish those blogs. It shows. Glitches of all types abound, with posts showing little or no evidence of editing.
Here are five sentences from reporters’ blogs, each with an editing error that most copy editors would detect and correct if given the chance. Take a look at these and see whether you notice anything. Answers are in the comments area.
1. They’re wins over Tennessee and Oregon are good, but South Florida’s are better.
2. Given past history I’d guess that it will end up on the satellite providers in reasonably short order.
3. I watched State play for the first time on Saturday and I don’t know how much Raycom Lincoln Financial Sports’ equipment had to do with it but there’s way too much white on the field at State.
4. But if you’re ordering a sweater or something, totally free shipping!
5. The second film, “The Rabbit Hunters,” sort of a moody “I’m Not Rappaport” set on the outskirts in Lisbon, is alright.