It’s the time of year for college football rivalries. Some of these matchups have colorful and unusual nicknames.
Today, for example, Clemson and N.C. State will play in the Textile Bowl. Last week, Notre Dame defeated Boston College in the Holy War. Here are my other favorite names for rivalry games, listed countdown-style:
10. The Apple Cup (Washington vs. Washington State)
9. Backyard Brawl (West Virginia vs. Pittsburgh)
8. Iron Bowl (Alabama vs. Auburn)
7. The Border War (Kansas vs. Missouri)
6. Bayou Classic (Grambling vs. Southern)
5. Bedlam Series (Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State)
4. Battle for the Iron Skillet (Southern Methodist vs. Texas Christian)
3. Egg Bowl (Ole Miss vs. Mississippi State)
2. The Big Game (Cal vs. Stanford)
1. World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party (Florida vs. Georgia)
For more about these games and an extensive list, check out this Wikipedia entry.